1. Pastor Bill said that the path God takes often travels through human impossibility. What are some examples of this from Scripture?
2. Read Luke 1:26-38.
3. Pastor Bill said that when God makes a way through the impossible He usually calls a person. Why do you think God works through people? Can you think of a time when God worked through you? What happened?
4. Humble origins are fine with God. Have you ever allowed your past to define you or limit what you could be? How so? Is God calling you to more?
5. What stands out for you when you reflect on Mary’s response in verse 38? How have you responded to God in the past?
6. Pastor Bill spoke about laying claim in prayer to what God has called you to do. What does this mean? Have you done this?
Sunday, 15 December 2013
1. What is your favourite Christmas tradition or memory from growing up?
2. Read Matthew 2.
3. Pastor Bill said that this passage is full of incredible contrasts. What are some of these contrasts? What comes to mind as you reflect on these contrasts?
4. Pastor Bill said that God makes a way through the power of His voice. How does God speak in Matthew 2? How has He spoken to you?
5. Pastor Bill said that God makes a way through humble devotion/pure hearts. Who demonstrates a pure heart in this passage? What are the marks of a pure heart?
6. Pastor Bill said that God makes a way through the power of His Word. What prophecies are fulfilled in Matthew 2?
7. God is intervening in the situations of history and of our lives. How have you personally seen this to be true? Where do you need God to intervene in your life in the present?
Monday, 9 December 2013
1. Talk about a promise someone kept for you in spite of difficulty.
2. Read Matthew 1:1-17. What stands out for you most in this passage?
3. What are some of the highs and lows in the lives of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? In what ways do you see yourself in these men?
4. Think of David. How can a person described as he is in Acts 13:22 sink as low as he does in the Bathsheba incident? How can we protect ourselves from spiritual falls?
5. Pastor Bill said that the genealogy in Matthew 1 is a testimony to the grace of God. What did he mean by this?
6. Share one of the ways in which God has brought light out of darkness in your own life.
7. Pastor Bill said that in Christ, generational sins (anger, addiction, etc.) can be broken. Are there
any such sins in your life that need to be broken? Pray for one another for deliverance.
Sunday, 1 December 2013
1. Share a time when you had to wait for something and the waiting seemed almost unbearable.
2. Read 2 Peter 3.
3. “God will make a way, though the time is very long.” What did Pastor Bill mean by this?
4. What happens to human beings when they need to wait for a promise to be fulfilled? Does hope grow? Does it wane? Does it depend on what the promise is?
5. How might a Christian grow in hope and expectation in regards to the return of Christ?
6. The power of God’s Word. How has God demonstrated the power of His Word?
7. God sees time very differently than us. What practical implications does this have? Does this knowledge encourage or frustrate you?
8. Why has Christ not returned yet? How should we live in the light of God’s patience?
9. Compare the first advent of Christ with the second.
10. What are you going to do this advent season to help build your hope and joy as you wait for Christ to return?