Small Group Discussion Questions
1. Describe a time when you learned that a close friend or beloved relative was going to move away from you. How did you feel? What thoughts ran through your mind? What did you do to cope with the troubling news?
2. Read John 13:31-38.
3. Share one thought from this week’s sermon that stood out to you.
4. Jesus says: “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him”. What does Jesus mean?
5. In verse 34 Jesus says: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” Pastor Bill suggested that the love we are called to is new in its measure (it stoops low, is self-sacrificial and inclusive), it is new in its capacity (we are given a new capacity), and it is new in its fruitfulness. Keeping this in mind, reflect on the love Jesus has for His disciples. Share some passages from the Bible that highlight His love. Describe His love. What thoughts/feelings run through your mind as you think of His love? How should we respond to this love?
6. Why might some feel despair over such a command? Why is there no need to feel this despair?
7. How does love demonstrate that we are followers of Jesus Christ? Have you personally been drawn closer to Christ by what Bill calls the “mission of attraction”? Describe this experience.